Residential home options for those over 60 years of age (no guarantee of admission of late stage HD patients)
- CPOA Homes
- CPOA application form (please ensure you get a separate CPOA medical form to be filled out by your GP or at the Day Hospital)
- Senior complexes not CPOA
- Woodside Village fees
Details on St Lukes Hospice services
Details on the Western Cape governmental community based services
List of Private Attorneys in the Western Cape from UCT Law clinic
The following resources could possibly assist if there is a need for an acute short term intervention:
Click here for information on Psychiatric Hospitals in the Western Cape
Click here for information on Cheshire Homes SA
HASA members, please be aware that there are currently no long term placements for late stage HD patients in South Africa. Potential admission to these facilities will be up to the discretion of the facility management team – there is NO guarantee that the presenting symptoms of the patient concerned will fit the facility’s admission criteria.
International care model for HD: Topaz in the Netherlands.
Robin Trust – www.robintrust.com
- Depending on how advanced the illness is, the nearest hospice might be able to help, even if only with advice about places of care, etc. They also offer assistance at home if they can and this won’t cost anything or very little.
- A caregiver coming in a few days a week might be a short-term answer – contact Celeste from Care Group SA, (084 393 7581). She heads a placement agency for Caregivers and was trained in the UK. She and her caregivers come with very good references.
- Another option in Johannesburg might be the St Giles Home for the Disabled – www.stgileshome.org.za or 011 615 7681. Speak to Diane.
- Blymoedig Kliniek, just outside Pretoria, www.blymoedig.co.za
Park Care Centre
Physical Address: 36 Escombe avenue, Parktown west, Johannesburg
Postal Address: PO Box 72061, Parkview, 2122
Tel No: 011 482 2060
Fax No: 011 762 8219
Alternative No: 086 621 7555